Instant startup computing machines.

One of the most sort after items while looking at a new OS or a new computing device is the boot up speed. The faster you are able to get the machine up and running, the better. The new OS, Chrome OS, being developed by Google is especially keen on being the fastest to start up. I mean thats one of the most talked about items on their videos or posts. 

The mantra being, get as quickly online as possible! The demo they showed already had the machine up in 7 seconds and ready to login. Where as a "normal" system may take from 20 seconds upwards to boot up. I say normal, because the more you use a system, chances are, the slower the machine boots. The fastest boot times are probably the times where your system has just been formated clean and a fresh installation of the OS done. There may be tweaking options to keep the system from slowing down, but then again I am talking about the general case here.

A couple of weeks back, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my home desktop and was pleased to notice that I was into the system in about 15 seconds from power up. Yep. I was mighty pleased with that. And even now, after I have all my usually used applications installed, the boot time is still pretty much the same. But then unlike how they expect in the Google Chrome OS video, I still cannot get myself online under ONE minute!! The bottleneck being my ADSL modem which has a start up time of about a minute or so.

Alas! The chain is only as strong as the weakest link eh?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan match fixing is denied

Hurray for the vacation!

screenshot on android