the twitter counters..

On May 4th when Sachin Tendulkar joined twitter, I added the first celebrity onto my following list. Yesterday on 18th May, was my second when Mr. Amitabh Bachan too joined the twitter band. I am not one of the kind who likes to know all the details about celebrities and glitter stuff. Thats the only reason I did not want to have their tweets showing up on my timeline. I didn't think they were worth it. I used twitter to more or less interact with people I know, since this was what I am comfortable in. But Sachin's entry changes things :)

I still don't think I would be following others, other than these two. hmmm.... maybe if Federer were to join... :) But thats what I use my celebrity list for. I have added all who I might want to know to my twitter list.

Anyways, it was pretty amazing reaction the day Sachin joined. I saw many of my friends, who had earlier only created accounts on twitter or only posted the first "Hi", "Hello World" kind of messages and then left twitter alone, come back and post something or the other on twitter. Many of them have since been using twitter a regularly.

I had not heard any discussion about twitter, other than probably Sashi Tharoor's tweets, in my office circle before. But on this day colleagues were discussing about "what twitter was" and "how many followers" each had or who they were following etc. I was amazed at the influence a guy who plays excellent cricket had on technology adoption! A real live example of brand value?

For me it was amazing to see the followers counter for Sachin increasing. With every page refresh, the number was jumping significantly and it still is moving pretty steadily. If you are interested in some stats, please visit here for Sachin's. Here it says that there were about 5,943 followers added yesterday, and that the followers have been adding at the rate of 6,795 on an average. I am quite sure the same will be the case with Amithab's follower counter too!

It will be great to see these celebrities interacting, especially with SrBachan already dropping a tweet to Sachin_rt. SrBachan has been an avid blogger for quite some time. Amazing how he finds time for these between his busy schedule!

I think, I have a better appreciation of the twitter platform now.

Comments

  1. Somehow sachin has been largely irregular on twitter..

    He is not even following Sehwag,inspite numerous tweets by the latter :)
    If he was regular, he would have already beat Shashi Taroor in follower count :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would agree. He has not even responded to SrBachan yet. Some getting used to may probably be needed.

    In contrast SrBachan is taking to twitter like fish to water.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan match fixing is denied

Hurray for the vacation!

screenshot on android