The Jan Lokpal

So the talks stall again....

I first came to know of the Lokpal and the Anna Hazare movement from all the tweets and link sharing going on in twitter and Facebook. The online community was backing it up to the hilt and it was great. So I did the least I could and signed up a petition and shared links etc.

But then after a couple of days, I realized I knew close to nothing about what all this hue and cry was all about. From the social networking sites to the media all were talking of Anna Hazare and the Janpal bill. It was a cause for the nation and I actually didn't know a thing about what exactly the bill proposed or what it would do except that "remove corruption by punishing the corrupt", which sounded great to me. Come on, who wouldn't support or want that?

I have made fun of people in other countries who don't have a clue why their government does some things but supported them anyways, and here I was sitting and supporting a movement, when I had no clue about what it is about. Hmm.. time for introspection. And that's just what I did. I resolved to find out what this was about and read a few articles. Both for and against. I was really interested in this, until the drama started. That is the fasting of Baba Ramdev and associated gimmicks.

Truth be told, after reading the articles that I have, I still have no opinion if this is indeed the solution to corruption in India. It may be good it may not be. Only time will tell. But not doing anything about it is sure not going to help. I can only pray that both parties can come to a consensus and go ahead making laws and policies which can truly.

In case you are interested, here are some links..
For arguments,
Article on NDTV site - What is the Jan Lokpal Bill, why it's important
India Against corruption - Main site can find articles here.

Counter arguments
Where Anna Hazare Gets It Wrong
Why I oppose the Jan Lokpal bill

So, am I for it or against it? As with most people, I am for anything that can root out the problem. I am not very choosy about what it should be. Anything is fine as long as it works and makes life good for the general public.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan match fixing is denied

Hurray for the vacation!

screenshot on android