"Indianness"

It almost feels like Déjà vu! I lose count on how many times I have come across the debate on forums, mail chains, bulletin boards and of course in groups of people, when ever there is an "Indian" being awarded or recognized. That guy may not have stepped on Indian soil at all, but that does not stop us from arguing if he/she is an Indian or not and to claim the prize as our own!

The latest set of debate was triggered when the Nobel price for Chemistry was awarded to Venkatraman Ramakrishnan. I seriously do not understand the urge that people have to say be proud because they are Indian. I mean, I am proud enough about other things that India is about. I am ashamed at some things like corruption and all. But what do they mean to say there is something wrong if I don't feel proud that Swaraj Paul or Zubin Meheta or Laxhmi Mittal is of Indian Origin. Heck! I am not even thinking in that angle.

We have a local language paper, Malayalam Manorama, which is known to search out the entire family tree of any known personality and report if there is even a hint of one of them being a malayali. Once, if I recall right, they even found that one of the childhood nannies of one of these personalities were a malayali and reported that as one of the main news items! Come on guys! Put your abilities to better use!

Back to "Venky". Here is what Venkatraman Ramakrishnan himself feels of all the attention that he has been getting of-late. He seems to be driven to the edge :)
iEncyclopedia: Venki Ramakrishnan an Indian miffed at emails from India
I really liked his direct approach.

And then comes the balm for the people who were "offended" by his remarks. A little less nationalistic hero worship, please

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan match fixing is denied

Hurray for the vacation!

screenshot on android