Social Networking- what a vast space!

Today spent a lot of time, about 16 hrs and more, on going through the internet and exploring social networking. Phew! There are so many sites and applications that have come up that contribute to this phenomenon called social networking.

Just to name a few, MySpace, Orkut, Hi5, Facebook, Friendster, LinkedIn,Twitter...... And the list goes on. Have a look at List of social networking websites to get an idea of the HUGE number of sites that are available and the different categories they cater to.

It is so easy to get lost among the plethora of web sites and applications. Every now and then, I get a mail from an acquaintance, inviting me to this new cool site that he or she has created an account on and which will help us keep in touch with each other.

Of this list here are My Favs:
LinkedIn - Caters to professional connections.
Facebook and Orkut - My friends are spread across these two networking sites.
Twitter - lets me broadcast myself to all ;)

I never used to bother to follow up on these earlier, but recently have renewed my interest on the web and its related activities. It is amazing to see how people remain connected over huge geographies with these tools. Just recently, received a marriage invitation too on facebook. It had the event date marked on the calender and also had RSVP built in. People where marking themselves as available, maybe or not. Simply amazing to see the list of attendees building up.

Also another difference that I find from a few years back. We do not need to create an account on many of these new websites. They accept either the facebook or twitter or Google authentication and link it up. So to me it means that I need not remember another set of username/password. Thank God! This has indeed helped me to go ahead and exlore, whereas earlier, and even now, I would just turn away if sites demanded a new username. First off, its so hard to think of a new username. The obvious and good ones are already taken.

There is one other thing that has pulled me into this social networking. The ability of keeping in touch with these tools over the mobile. This means that if I have 5 mins to spare and am sitting idle, I can check up on these, add status updates, comment on stuff and add my 2cents too without having to come home and finding dedicated time for it. All, or at lease most of it, can be done over the mobile. I am yet to try out the photo upload via mobile. Hope to give it a shot one of these day.

I wish more of my family would start to use these so that it is easier to share stuff with them. Let me see if I can slowly coax them into this.

A warning though: there are a lot of con-jobs out there. So please be careful of the site you visit and news you get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan match fixing is denied

Hurray for the vacation!

screenshot on android